St. Andrews Blockhouse, NB, Canada

The restored wooden Blockhouse Historic Site is the only one left of several that were built here for protection in the War of 1812.

St. Andrews Blockhouse, NB, Canada

The restored wooden Blockhouse Historic Site is the only one left of several that were built here for protection in the War of 1812. If the tide is out, there’s a path that extends from the blockhouse out across the tidal flats.

Blockhouses were a common type of defense structure used throughout colonial North America. Typically, blockhouses were made of wood, and had two (but sometimes three) stories. The upper floor(s) would overhang the bottom one, thanks to their having different dimensions. This overhang would be machicolated (have small openings) so defenders inside the blockhouse could shoot down at attackers outside. Blockhouses were also supplied with loopholes and gun ports to fire through. All of these features can be seen in St. Andrews Blockhouse. Due to their simple design, and the abundance of timber, blockhouses were a quick and inexpensive method of protection. They also had many uses: fortify a battery, serve as a barracks, or as a storage place for weapons and side arms. Many blockhouses were built in New Brunswick for the War of 1812. Of those, St. Andrews Blockhouse is the only one still in existence, and is one of the oldest surviving blockhouses in Canada. Visit Canada. Epic Canada Route © Monika Newbound

Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Joes Point Road 23
Saint Andrews E5B 2J7 NB CA
Get directions